Sunday, November 7, 2010

Anything-Goes Green Dip


The holiday festivities are drawing near, bringing an apprehensive excitement to many. Where many feel a nostalgic pull to indulge in traditional holiday fare, I crave the foods I do everyday. With that said I honor the love that family and friends put into their meal preparations. But truthfully, I can respect that compassion while selectively filling my plate. I do love to eat. I love to to eat the fresh, seasonal, local bounty that should adorn our tables. Some years it's fun to go all out with main courses and the fixings, but other times it's just as well to bring a veggie tray and dip. I am leaning towards the later this year, and put this preemptive dip together for such event. The recipe is a super simple template that can be adapted to the ingredients on hand. Where I inadvertently purchased asparagus from Mexico, a local green will do superbly.

Anything-Goes Green Dip

-8-12 asparagus spears or 1/2 head kale, a bunch of spinach, brussel sprouts, or green beans)
-1 avocado
-1 carrot
-juice of one lemon + one lime
-1/4 bunch of parsley
-1/2 bunch fresh dill
-1/4 cup water
-1 green onion
-optional: garlic and cayenne

Place all ingredients in food processor or high speed blender and whirl away. Add more water if mixture is too thick. Stores in fridge for up to two days.

No comments: